b. 1983 Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
University of Southern California – Roski School of Fine Arts - Master of Fine Arts degree program (2013)
Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design — Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, Visual Arts Major (2005)
École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts — Exchange program in Paris, France (2004)
Solo and Two Person Exhibitions
-Tiny Shells Colliding, The Gallery at Micheal’s, Los Angeles
- Sweat, with Noura Wedell, Franz Kaka, Toronto
-Neighbours,with David Gilbert, Del Vaz Projects, Los Angeles
- Reincarnation Clash, solo exhibition with China Art Objects, Los Angeles
-When I am Music Kissing Musician, solo booth with Kunstverein Toronto at the Material Art Fair, Mexico City
-Stone Gloves, Harmony Murphy Gallery, Los Angeles
- A Club Called Animals, Model Projects, Vancouver
-Over-Mind, Finley Gallery, curated by Sarah Lehrer Graiwer, Los Angeles
- Booth for NADA Miami Beach for Artist Curated Projects, with Sam Gordon
- Dienstag Abend, curated by Barbara Rüdiger, Vesch, Vienna, with Catharina Wronn
- Feeling Tones, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Mixed Pictures, curated by Jonathan Middleton, Or Gallery, Berlin
Selected Group Exhibitions
-Fun Hang, Karma International, Los Angeles
-Chains, Central Park Gallery, Los Angeles
-Paradise, Night Gallery, Los Angeles
-TEN, Artist Curated Projects, Los Angeles
- Symbolisms, Cooper Cole, Toronto, curated by Chris Sharp
-Last, Artist Curated Projects, Los Angeles
-Significant Otherness, Angel’s Gate Cultural Center, Santa Ana, CA
-Vancouver Special: Ambivalent Pleasures, Vancouver Art Gallery
-How To Make a Living Day, Doris McCarthy Gallery, University of Toronto, Scarborough
- The Fraud that Goes Under the Name of Love,Audain Gallery, curated by Amy Kazymerchyk and cheyanne turions, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver
-C-C Artists Programme, Tate St. Ives, St. Ives
- A Line in the Sand, Artist Curated Projects, Los Angeles
- Blind White, Diaz Contemporary, Toronto
-Tribal Tats, Arturo Bandini, Los Angeles
- Persian Rose Chartreuse Muse Vancouver Grey, curated by Mina Totino, Equinox Gallery, Vancouver
- Cherub, curated by Andrew Berardini and Brian Kennon, 2nd Cannons, Los Angeles
-Where Does It Hurt? curated by Jonah Gray, Artspeak Gallery, Vancouver
-Flowers in the Hot Tub, Artist Curated Projects, Los Angeles
-Another Cats Show, 356 Mission Road, Los Angeles
- August, with Shannon Ebner and Adam Putnam, curated by Tyler Coburn, Galerie Mezzanin, Vienna
-Thought Bungalow, Artist Curated Projects, Los Angeles
-RBC Canadian Painting Competition, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
- The Stand In (Or A Glass of Milk), curated by Alexandra Gaty and Lauren Mackler, Public Fiction, Los Angeles
- Invagination/ Write to Life, Night Gallery, Los Angeles
- Superpositions, New Wight Biennial, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles
- Phantasmagoria, Presentation House Gallery, curated by Helga Pakasaar and Reid Shier, Vancouver
- Rope of Sand, Soi Fischer, Toronto
- La Conference, site specific project for a conference by the Lacan Salon, Vancouver
- All the Rest is Literature,curated by Vincenzo Latronico, with Maria Fusco, Artissima Art Fair, Turin, Italy
Berardini, Andrew, “Future Greats.” Art Review, March 2015.
Bernardini, Andrew, Review of Reincarnation Clash,Artforum(online), June 2016.
Coburn, Tyler, August. Exhibition catalogue published on the occasion of the exhibition August, with Shannon Ebner and Adam Putnam, curated by Tyler Coburn, Galerie Mezzanin, Vienna, 2013.
Fusco, Maria, “Looking Back: Books”. Frieze.No. 104. London: January 2007.
Fusco, Maria, “Report: Contemporary Art Writing and its Environs”. Map Magazine. Online journal, Issue 15: Summer 2008.
Hart, Sydney, Review of Where Does It Hurt. C Magazine, Issue 124, Winter 2014.
Hudson, Suzanne, Review of Stone Gloves. Artforum.March 2015.
Lee, Yaniya, Review of Sweat. Canadian Art, March 2018
Oilman, Leah, “Energy and Emotion in Rachelle Sawatsky’s Strong Show at China Art Objects.” Review of Reincarnation Clash. LA Times, June 2016.
Peck, Aaron, “Aaron Peck in Vancouver”. Akimblog, June 12, 2012
Stadler, Eva Maria and Bettina Leidl and others, Why Painting Now. Exhibition catalogue for Curated By, Vienna, 2013.
Szewczyk, Monika,Review of Persian Rose Chartreuse Muse Vancouver Grey.ArtforumJuly 2014.
Turner, Michael, “A Look at Painting as Journey in Vancouver,” Review of Persian Rose Chartreuse Muse Vancouver Grey.Canadian Art, review posted online April 9, 2014.
Various,RBC Canadian Painting Competition 2013, Exhibition catalogue for RBC Canadian Painting Competition 2013.
Various,Superpositions, New Wight Biennial, Exhibition catalogue. University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, 2012.
Various,The Stand In (Or A Glass of Milk), Exhibition catalogue. Public Fiction, Los Angeles, 2015.
Griffin Art Projects, Vancouver, 2017-2018
Banff Centre for the Arts, 2010
Awards and Scholarships
Canada Council Award (2018)
RBC Canadian Painting Competition Finalist (2013)
University of Southern California, Teaching Assistant Fellowship (2011, 2012, 2013)
BC Arts Council Senior Scholarship (2012)
Canada Council Travel Grant (2010)
Helen Pitt Award (2005)
BC Arts Council Senior Scholarship (2003)